On Tuesday, Ed Vaizey, the Minister of State for Culture and the Digital Economy, visited one of our supporters, Sign Solutions to learn more about their video relay InterpretersLive! platform.
InterpretersLive! allows Deaf people to access an interpretation service via video link from their desktop, tablet or smartphone and aims to provide them with the same levels of access as hearing people when dealing with communication we encounter every day.
Vaizey, who was in Birmingham attending the Conservative party conference, has spent years encouraging phone companies to take action on video relay for deaf people.
His visit to the Sign Solutions head office saw him meet with Sean Nicholson, CEO at Sign Solutions, and see behind the scenes how its InterpretersLive! service works.
Ed Vaizey comments: “It was a pleasure meeting the Sign Solutions team yesterday as well as getting to learn about its InterpretersLive! service.
“I would strongly encourage all businesses to adopt video relay in order to improve the accessibility for Deaf people.”
Sean Nicholson, CEO at Sign Solutions, said: “Over the last few years, the demand for better access for Deaf people has grown and we believe the willingness of large FTSE companies to make their services more accessible is in no small part due to the work that Ed Vaizey has done in encouraging and promoting the use of these services.
“We were therefore delighted to welcome Ed to our head office on Tuesday and hope that his visit will further raise awareness of improving the availability of services for Deaf people.”
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children