The BBC has reported that the principal of the Royal School for the Deaf in Derby has been suspended after inspectors found that pupils were “put at risk of child sexual exploitation and grooming.”
Pupils at a residential school for the deaf were put at risk of child sexual exploitation and grooming, according to inspectors.
The principal at the Royal School for the Deaf Derby has been suspended for “failing to promote the safeguarding needs of the pupils”, Ofsted said.
It was rated “inadequate” in all categories following a two-day inspection in December.
Governors at the 131-pupil school said they were working to resolve issues.
The report rated the school inadequate in five key areas – overall effectiveness, outcomes for residential pupils, quality of residential provision and care, residential pupil safety and leadership.
It highlighted the principal’s failure to share child protection concerns, which it said “directly impacted upon pupils as they were placed at risk of potential grooming and child sexual exploitation”.
The problems at the school, which has children with “complex special needs”, resulted in “social workers and independent reviewing officers attempting to make crucial decisions about the welfare of children looked after without full information before them”.
To read the full article, click here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-31372557
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to make Live Automated Captions with Apple’s Latest 'Clips' App
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people