Do you ever go to BSL interpreted theatre? If so, SPIT, who are a supporter of this site, are asking for your help…
Signed Performance in Theatre (SPIT) was formed in 1994 to encourage and facilitate sign language interpreted performances for people who use BSL.
Its aim is to ensure that Deaf people have access to a broad range of theatre through the provision of high quality sign language interpreted performances.
SPIT recently successfully applied to Arts Council England for some funding so that it could undertake a review of its activities and draw up a new business plan for the future.
A really important element of this project is for SPIT to gather views about BSL interpreted arts from Deaf people, theatres and other arts venues and BSL interpreters who are working in the arts.
If you are a BSL user who goes to interpreted theatre performances then we’d love to hear from you! We have developed an online survey which you can access here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SPIT2015
Each question is accompanied by a little video which explains the question and possible answers in BSL, and you can see a video which introduces the work of SPIT here.
As well as running the online survey, SPIT will be holding focus groups for BSL users in Manchester, London and Bristol.
If you live in or near those cities and you might be willing to take part in a BSL discussion about interpreted arts events, then we would love to hear from you. You can register your interest in the focus groups by emailing email@example.com.
Thanks very much, and we can’t wait to hear from you!
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people