The Sunderland Echo has reported the story of a deaf climber who experienced the earthquake in Nepal.
A SURVIVOR of the Nepal earthquake has told of how his dream trek to Everest base camp turned into nightmare as he returned to Kathmandu on the day disaster struck.
Keen trekker and climber Mark Grimes had been on a month-long trip of a lifetime to mark his 40th birthday, in January, when he was caught up in the quake last Saturday.
“Then the quake struck. I just could not comprehend what had happened. It felt like a big, heavy freight train was passing by, but it felt strange and it was not until the ground actually moved when I actually realised it was a quake.
“Then paths cracked up and rubble fell down around me, smoke billowing, scooters falling like a pack of cards, people running. And also windchill roaring through the air.”
Despite the terror that unfolded around him, Mark grabbed his camera to document the immediate aftermath.
Read the full story here: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/deaf-everest-trekker-tells-of-earthquake-nightmare-in-nepal-1-7243585
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to make Live Automated Captions with Apple’s Latest 'Clips' App
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people