London 3D Printing toy company MyMakie.com have answered the Toy Like Me campaign call for better diversity in the toy box by producing the UK’s first ever Deaf doll – complete with hearing aids and signing hands.
The Toy Like Me team, led by two deaf mothers, approached Makie dolls, (who produce bespoke 3D printed dolls currently sold online and in Selfridges and Hamleys) asking if they would support the campaign and start producing dolls to include disabilities.
“We were so happy when they said yes,” says Toy Like Me campaigner, Rebecca Atkinson. “Because Makie dolls are 3D printed in London rather than tooled and manufacture red abroad they were able to respond to our request in less than two weeks!”
The Deaf Makie doll will soon be available to buy in store from MyMakie.com and the company say they are planning to improve and expand the range of disability accessories to include world’s first cochlear implant wearing doll.
“We are thrilled by Makie’s response,” says Atkinson, “But there is still work to do. We want to see the big girls and boys of the toy world making the same effort. We won’t rest until Playmobil and Lego have upped their game too.”
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to make Live Automated Captions with Apple’s Latest 'Clips' App
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people