The charity Action on Hearing Loss have today launched a campaign to encourage the government to legislate for more subtitles on on demand services.
The charity says that 80% of on demand providers don’t offer any subtitles on their content, with some of the industry’s biggest names among the worst offenders.
In February, our Editor Charlie Swinbourne wrote about how Sky needs to smarten up on offering deaf customers subtitles for on demand services, and this is an issue which deaf people across the country have been complaining about for some time.
Below is an extract from the charity’s website. Sign up for the campaign here.
Watching ‘catch up’ TV and film ‘on demand’ has become a part of everyday life – whether it’s streaming the latest must-see movie or getting up to speed with the soaps.
Did you know that more than 80% of ‘on demand’ providers don’t offer any subtitles for on demand content, and the big subscription services like Sky, Virgin and Talk Talk have no subtitles on the vast majority of their on demand content? A massive 96% of Sky’s content is completely inaccessible to people who rely on subtitles.
The Government has promised to review legislation for subtitles for on demand services in July 2016. And now the dust has settled after the election, we need to make sure that subtitles are at the top of Culture Minister Ed Vaizey’s ‘to do’ list.
Sign up to support the campaign by clicking here.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people