A partnership between a Deaf health charity and the NHS in the North East has led to the creation of a series of innovative new sign language guides to mental health issues.
Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust (NTW) worked in partnership with deaf health charity SignHealth to produce 14 mental health self-help guides in British Sign Language (BSL). The project was supported by NHS England’s Regional Innovation Fund.
NTW Clinical Nurse Specialist, Mental Health and Deafness Service, Joyce Pennington said:
“I am delighted that NTW is working in partnership with SignHealth, a deaf charity. We are striving to towards providing equal access to information in BSL for Deaf people. The BSL self-help guides are a valuable resource that I can use when working with deaf people with mental health issues.”
NTW is the North East’s mental health and disability care provider, operating across Northumberland, Newcastle, North Tyneside, Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland.
SignHealth Clinical Management Lead Hazel Flynn said:
“SignHealth’s ‘Sick of It’ report revealed that poor communication has a devastating impact on all areas of deaf health. Our research showed eight out of 10 deaf people want to communicate in BSL but only three in 10 get the chance. We’re delighted, therefore, to have been part of making information on common mental health problems – such as depression and anxiety – more accessible.”
Visitors to the NTW website and YouTube channel can now view the BSL videos on issues including domestic violence, depression, stress, anxiety and sleeping problems.
To view the new BSL self-help guides visit www.ntw.nhs.uk/pic/selfhelp (click on the leaflet then on the ‘BSL video option) or go to the NTW YouTube channel.
The videos will also be available as part of the health information in BSL on SignHealth’s website – www.signhealth.org.uk.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people