Launched in June 2015, Royal Association for Deaf people and HMRC’s innovative new service continues to help make tax information and advice more accessible to Deaf people.
With the deadline for submitting paper Self Assessment forms fast approaching; Deaf people can visit www.royaldeaftax.org.uk to access a BSL tax advisor by webcam or contact HMRC direct via Video Interpreting Service.
One customer explains how they received advice on Self Assessment via the Video Interpreting Service:
“Using Skype and RAD webcam to relay the conversation I had with the tax office – it was great! After a long discussion, I mentioned that I would book again to help me filling the form; knowing the forms will go smoothly without problems. I would recommend to my friends the use of RAD Tax Advice webcam. Thank you so much for setting up and I hope many more Deaf BSL Users will use the link.”
Similarly, Laura Eadsforth, RAD’s tax advisor commented;
“The response from the Deaf community has been overwhelmingly positive. One client even said how useful it was to ‘speak’ to me after work, from a pub – as a hearing person could. It felt like equality!”
Visitors to www.royaldeaftax.org.uk can:
- Find information in British Sign Language (BSL) about tax credits, PAYE, child benefit and self-assessment
- Book a FREE webcam appointment in British Sign Language with RAD’s Tax Advisor to solve problems with Tax or Tax Credit
- Contact HMRC directly via a British Sign Language/ English interpreter using RAD’s Video Interpreting Service. RAD’s Video Interpreting Service gives easy, instant access to registered, qualified interpreters via a PC or tablet.
Dr Jan Sheldon, Chief Executive for RAD said, “We work with Deaf people to make as many mainstream services as possible accessible to Deaf people. The website we have developed with HMRC has been enormously beneficial. For the first time ever, Deaf people have access to information about tax in their first language”.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to make Live Automated Captions with Apple’s Latest 'Clips' App
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people