Sam Garcia is 19 and is an academically gifted deaf student from Brazil. He was born deaf and has no hearing in one ear and limited hearing in the other. Sam currently lives in Greenwich in SE London with his parents.
Sam has an offer to study Biomedical Science at the University of Westminster but, unfortunately, he can’t currently take up his place because he doesn’t have the correct visa to access a student loan to cover his fees and to fund a note taker.
To help raise the funds to cover the cost of his university placement, Sam’s teacher (at Shooters Hill Campus in SE London) Tony Pike has started a GoFundMe page with a target of 15k. They’ve already raised around £1500.
“Sam is a highly talented Scientist and has earned the right to study at university to fulfil his dreams.
“Sam left Brazil to come to the UK 10 years ago and has been studying BTEC Applied Science for the past 3 years at Shooters Hill Post 16 Campus, in Woolwich, South East London. In the history of the Campus, no other deaf student has managed to secure a place at university to study science. So we would all, very much, like to help Sam to be the first!”
“When I was a child I used to be really curious about everything. I kept asking so many questions about why things happen and that really started my interest in Science. I have worked so hard to reach this point that I’m gutted to think I won’t be able to take up the place I have earnt. I would be so grateful if anyone out there is able to help.”
– University tuition fees (Overseas rate) £12k per year
– Additional funds in place of Disabled Student Allowance
– Cost of a note taker to assist Sam in his studies
Dr Terry Riley OBE, Chair of the British Deaf Association said:
“We wish Sam all the very best in securing a place at university to study Science. Deaf children have the same aspirations as their hearing peers, they can and should aim for the sky. The only difference is they cannot hear. We now have deaf Doctors, PHD’s, CEO’s and business entrepreneurs. One of our key goals at the BDA is to ensure that the younger Deaf generation cultivate similar opportunities to hearing students.”
To donate to the ‘Help us send Sam to Uni’ GoFundMe page, please visit: https://www.gofundme.com/
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out 5 ways to fund live captions at your event!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people