A nine year old deaf girl has made local headlines after spotting 15 examples of punctuation errors during a 15 minute walk around a Yorkshire town – including Yorkshire staples such as pies, pasties and cakes.
A NINE-YEAR-OLD schoolgirl found 15 examples of the incorrect use of apostrophes during a 15-minute walk in Keighley.
As part of a school project, Ammarah Mahmood, who is deaf, wandered around the market and surrounding area looking for mistakes – specifically the ‘apostrophe-S’ – on signage.
And the youngster, a pupil at Swain House Primary School in Bradford, was shocked at what she found.
The errors she spotted included: Banana’s; Happy Holiday’s; No Drink’s Allowed in Shop; Pie’s, Pasty’s, Sandwich’s and Cakes; DVD’s; Customers For Taxi’s Please Wait Here; Toilet’s and Open Sunday’s.
With thanks to @TomTeds on Twitter.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out 5 ways to fund live captions at your event!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people