A sign language tutor wrongfully accused of torching his own home says the two year court ordeal has ruined his life.
All charges against Michael Broderick have now been dropped but the fallout from the case has meant the 55-year-old is broke and out of work.
He has lost his business, used up all of his savings and suffered two heart attacks linked to stress.
Michael, who is deaf, is considering taking action against Leicestershire Police and is appealing for a solicitor to help him with his complaint.
He is also hoping members of the sign language interpreter community will come forward to assist him on a voluntary basis as he is reliant on their skills when dealing with the hearing world but doesn’t have the means to pay.
Without an interpreter he says he cannot seek proper redress for the injustice done against him nor begin to build up his business once more and regain his reputation and livelihood.
Michael said: “It is a vicious circle. I have lost everything, my business, friends, students, my registration as an instructor so I cannot teach. I feel people are laughing at me and talking about me and I cannot communicate because I cannot afford an interpreter.
Read the full story here: http://www.hinckleytimes.net/news/local-news/deaf-tutor-burbage-says-life-10498230
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people