A sign language tutor wrongfully accused of torching his own home says the two year court ordeal has ruined his life.
All charges against Michael Broderick have now been dropped but the fallout from the case has meant the 55-year-old is broke and out of work.
He has lost his business, used up all of his savings and suffered two heart attacks linked to stress.
Michael, who is deaf, is considering taking action against Leicestershire Police and is appealing for a solicitor to help him with his complaint.
He is also hoping members of the sign language interpreter community will come forward to assist him on a voluntary basis as he is reliant on their skills when dealing with the hearing world but doesn’t have the means to pay.
Without an interpreter he says he cannot seek proper redress for the injustice done against him nor begin to build up his business once more and regain his reputation and livelihood.
Michael said: “It is a vicious circle. I have lost everything, my business, friends, students, my registration as an instructor so I cannot teach. I feel people are laughing at me and talking about me and I cannot communicate because I cannot afford an interpreter.
Read the full story here: http://www.hinckleytimes.net/news/local-news/deaf-tutor-burbage-says-life-10498230
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people