A sign language tutor wrongfully accused of torching his own home says the two year court ordeal has ruined his life.
All charges against Michael Broderick have now been dropped but the fallout from the case has meant the 55-year-old is broke and out of work.
He has lost his business, used up all of his savings and suffered two heart attacks linked to stress.
Michael, who is deaf, is considering taking action against Leicestershire Police and is appealing for a solicitor to help him with his complaint.
He is also hoping members of the sign language interpreter community will come forward to assist him on a voluntary basis as he is reliant on their skills when dealing with the hearing world but doesn’t have the means to pay.
Without an interpreter he says he cannot seek proper redress for the injustice done against him nor begin to build up his business once more and regain his reputation and livelihood.
Michael said: “It is a vicious circle. I have lost everything, my business, friends, students, my registration as an instructor so I cannot teach. I feel people are laughing at me and talking about me and I cannot communicate because I cannot afford an interpreter.
Read the full story here: http://www.hinckleytimes.net/news/local-news/deaf-tutor-burbage-says-life-10498230
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. 5 tips for travelling with hearing loss!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children