The BBC have reported:
The country’s oldest specialist school for deaf children could close at the end of the year after the trust which runs it went into administration.
More than 100 job losses have already been announced at The Royal School for Deaf Children in Margate, Kent, which was established in 1792.
A further 380 jobs could go if substantial funding cannot be found.
About 110 young people attend the schools operated by the John Townsend Trust, administrators said.
The threat of closure also affects Westgate College which was established in 1978 as the post-16 department of The Royal School.
Following the news of the closure of The Royal School for Deaf Children in Margate, Kent, the British Deaf Association has said:
Dr. Terry Riley, OBE, Chair of the British Deaf Association and ex-governor of the school, said: “The BDA is saddened to hear the news of the closure of The Royal School for Deaf Children, which is the oldest Deaf school in the UK. We are now in contact with the John Townsend Trust, which operates the school, to discuss how we can work together with them to ensure that this vital heritage is not lost forever.”
Read the full article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-35029642
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out 5 ways to fund live captions at your event!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people