The January 31st deadline for submitting online Self Assessment forms is fast approaching.
Luckily, Deaf self-employed people can get free advice in British Sign Language about completing their tax return, thanks to a new service from RAD (a supporter of this site) and HMRC.
Deaf people can visit www.royaldeaftax.org.uk to access a British Sign Language (BSL) tax advisor by webcam or contact HMRC direct via Video Interpreting Service.
One customer explains how she received tax advice via the Video Interpreting Service:
“Using Skype and RAD webcam to relay the conversation I had with the tax office – it was great. Thank you so much for setting up and I hope many more Deaf BSL Users will use the link.”
- To arrange an appointment, visit www.royaldeaftax.org.uk and click on BOOK AN APPOINTMENT.
- For Self Assessment information in BSL, click here.
Visitors to www.royaldeaftax.org.uk can also find information in British Sign Language (BSL) about tax credits, PAYE and child benefit.
Dr Jan Sheldon, Chief Executive for RAD said:
“We work with Deaf people to make as many mainstream services as possible accessible to Deaf people. The website we have developed with HMRC has been enormously beneficial. For the first time ever, Deaf people have access to information about tax in their first language”.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. 5 tips for travelling with hearing loss!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children