The January 31st deadline for submitting online Self Assessment forms is fast approaching.
Luckily, Deaf self-employed people can get free advice in British Sign Language about completing their tax return, thanks to a new service from RAD (a supporter of this site) and HMRC.
Deaf people can visit www.royaldeaftax.org.uk to access a British Sign Language (BSL) tax advisor by webcam or contact HMRC direct via Video Interpreting Service.
One customer explains how she received tax advice via the Video Interpreting Service:
“Using Skype and RAD webcam to relay the conversation I had with the tax office – it was great. Thank you so much for setting up and I hope many more Deaf BSL Users will use the link.”
- To arrange an appointment, visit www.royaldeaftax.org.uk and click on BOOK AN APPOINTMENT.
- For Self Assessment information in BSL, click here.
Visitors to www.royaldeaftax.org.uk can also find information in British Sign Language (BSL) about tax credits, PAYE and child benefit.
Dr Jan Sheldon, Chief Executive for RAD said:
“We work with Deaf people to make as many mainstream services as possible accessible to Deaf people. The website we have developed with HMRC has been enormously beneficial. For the first time ever, Deaf people have access to information about tax in their first language”.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people