For a few years now, British Deaf films have enjoyed a stellar reputation around the world when they’re shown at Deaf film festivals in different countries, often winning awards.
This has been made clear with the remarkable news that 18 British films will be shown at the Seattle Deaf Film Festival in America, from 1st-3rd April this year.
14 of those films were funded by the BSLBT – with many of them being made as part of the Zoom filmmaking scheme – and shown on TV and online via the BSL Zone.
The selected films are:
- Champion Of The World (directed by Bim Ajadi)
- Confession (Julian Peedle-Calloo)
- Crossing The Divide (Cathy Heffernan)
- Does Deaf Football Have A Future? (Thomas Giddens)
- Double Discrimination (Rinkoo Barpaga)
- If I Don’t Lose, I’ll Lose (Jean St Clair)
- Listen, Even When Your Heart Is Crying (Melissa Mostyn)
- Little World (Becky Bailey)
- Nonsense (Max Clendaniel)
- Oka (Paul Miller)
- September 11 (Raabia Hussain)
- Small World: Episode One (Louis Neethling)
- Strangers (Brian Duffy)
- Supersonic (Samuel Dore)
- The Big Decisions (John Finn)
- The Is I, Remember Me (Jack Smallwood)
- The Quiet Ones (Teresa Garratty)
- You, Me (Simon Herdman)
To find out more, click here.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people