For a few years now, British Deaf films have enjoyed a stellar reputation around the world when they’re shown at Deaf film festivals in different countries, often winning awards.
This has been made clear with the remarkable news that 18 British films will be shown at the Seattle Deaf Film Festival in America, from 1st-3rd April this year.
14 of those films were funded by the BSLBT – with many of them being made as part of the Zoom filmmaking scheme – and shown on TV and online via the BSL Zone.
The selected films are:
- Champion Of The World (directed by Bim Ajadi)
- Confession (Julian Peedle-Calloo)
- Crossing The Divide (Cathy Heffernan)
- Does Deaf Football Have A Future? (Thomas Giddens)
- Double Discrimination (Rinkoo Barpaga)
- If I Don’t Lose, I’ll Lose (Jean St Clair)
- Listen, Even When Your Heart Is Crying (Melissa Mostyn)
- Little World (Becky Bailey)
- Nonsense (Max Clendaniel)
- Oka (Paul Miller)
- September 11 (Raabia Hussain)
- Small World: Episode One (Louis Neethling)
- Strangers (Brian Duffy)
- Supersonic (Samuel Dore)
- The Big Decisions (John Finn)
- The Is I, Remember Me (Jack Smallwood)
- The Quiet Ones (Teresa Garratty)
- You, Me (Simon Herdman)
To find out more, click here.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out 5 ways to fund live captions at your event!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people