It’s been reported that a deaf man was allegedly told “deaf people shouldn’t order drinks” in a branch of Costa Coffee in West London.
Extract from Get West London website:
A deaf and partially blind man was left humiliated after a Costa coffee staff member allegedly said “if he’s deaf, he shouldn’t be ordering drinks”.
Mr Sandeep Bhinder, from Uxbridge , visited the High Street branch in his hometown in December 2015 where he ordered drinks by writing them down on a piece of paper.
However, after being mistakenly charged for six drinks, rather than three, sister Simran asked staff members for a refund.
What happened next, she said, was something she had “never experienced”.
Ms Bhinder said: “When I asked if we were allowed a refund, the man refused – and there was no manager in on the day.
“He then said ‘I asked him, but he’s deaf and can’t even speak’.
“He was very confrontational and intimidating and when I asked if there was a complaints procedure, he acted as if I was invisible.”
Read the full story here: http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/uxbridge-family-humiliated-after-man-10765139
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. 5 tips for travelling with hearing loss!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children