It’s been reported that a deaf man was allegedly told “deaf people shouldn’t order drinks” in a branch of Costa Coffee in West London.
Extract from Get West London website:
A deaf and partially blind man was left humiliated after a Costa coffee staff member allegedly said “if he’s deaf, he shouldn’t be ordering drinks”.
Mr Sandeep Bhinder, from Uxbridge , visited the High Street branch in his hometown in December 2015 where he ordered drinks by writing them down on a piece of paper.
However, after being mistakenly charged for six drinks, rather than three, sister Simran asked staff members for a refund.
What happened next, she said, was something she had “never experienced”.
Ms Bhinder said: “When I asked if we were allowed a refund, the man refused – and there was no manager in on the day.
“He then said ‘I asked him, but he’s deaf and can’t even speak’.
“He was very confrontational and intimidating and when I asked if there was a complaints procedure, he acted as if I was invisible.”
Read the full story here: http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/uxbridge-family-humiliated-after-man-10765139
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people