Birmingham based Deaf Artist Olivier Jamin has secured the opportunity to showcase his work at the new Grand Central Shopping Centre Birmingham and on blowUP media’s giant digital screen near the Bullring Shopping Centre.
Olivier, who is supported by “Grants for the Arts” through Arts Council England, is a Contemporary Artist who has been Deaf since birth and has had a lifelong passion for the arts.
To watch Olivier signing about his work, click play below:
Olivier specialises in hand drawn multicoloured art and creates Stencil Graffiti. Some of his hand drawn work uses different styles such as pen dotting style or ‘tricking the eye’ art so people can spend time looking at the artwork rather than a quick 5 second glance.
The aim is to produce work that combines the effect of colours and patterns and raise people’s imagination and awareness especially regarding deafness and disabilities.
Olivier is constantly experimenting and finding new ideas and concepts. Much of his work is inspired by influences taken from personal life experiences of being Deaf and from his travels to Europe, Kenya and India.
The installation of Olivier’s work has already begun.
Jonathan Cheetham, General Manager for Grand Central, said: “We have thousands of people passing through Grand Central each day, so we are thrilled to be able to provide Olivier with a magnificent platform to help build further awareness of his inspirational artwork.”
Olivier said: “It’s a dream come true to show my art to the public and to think it will be seen by thousands if not, millions of people as they pass through Birmingham is difficult to conceive. A special thanks to all the people who have supported me over the years”.
Olivier has also made this video to explain how to find the artwork:
Find out more about Olivier on his website: http://www.ojart.net/
To find out more about Grants for the Arts visit the “what we do section” on their website: www.artscouncil.org.uk
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to make Live Automated Captions with Apple’s Latest 'Clips' App
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people