To mark World Cancer Day on the 4th February, the Deaf Health Charity SignHealth has launched videos on testicular cancer in British Sign Language (BSL).
Watch the videos in BSL here: http://www.signhealth.org.uk/testicular-cancer/
The charity has worked with male cancer charity Orchid – the UK’s leading charity working on behalf of everyone affected or interested in male cancer – to produce the series of ten videos. They explain what testicular cancer is and how it is diagnosed and treated.
SignHealth’s Sick of It report reported that deaf people face constant barriers to managing their own health, partly due to a lack of accessible information. The report recommended that health information from the NHS and others be routinely translated into BSL to give deaf people equal access.
In response to the report, SignHealth has produced a range of videos on health related videos in BSL and its website holds the world’s biggest collection of BSL health videos. They work with organisations like Orchid to ensure that deaf people get the accurate, up-to-date information which is verified by experts.
SignHealth’s Acting Chief Executive, Gary Cottrell said:
“Our work making health videos in BSL is a vital part of making health information accessible to deaf people. When the Sick of It report was published the NHS Choices website contained 900 videos of which only 1% were in British Sign Language.
It’s just not acceptable to have to rely on a friend or family member to translate information on personal and important health issues. These videos are vitally important to empowering deaf people to take control of their own health and wellbeing.”
Orchid’s Chief Executive, Rebecca Porta said:
We were delighted to work with SignHealth to deliver this important resource. Over 2,200 men will be diagnosed with testicular cancer in the UK over the next year and ensuring they have access to high quality, evidence based information is vital”.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to make Live Automated Captions with Apple’s Latest 'Clips' App
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people