The National Deaf Children’s Society has thanked the family of a former teacher who dedicated her lifetime’s work to helping deaf children from across the East Midlands.
Hundreds of deaf children from Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire learnt from Mrs Julia Baynham, who for 20 years taught in the deaf unit at the old Ermine Infant School in Lincoln’s Thoresway Drive.
Mrs Baynham, who died recently aged 77, was a keen fundraiser for The National Deaf Children’s Society. She passionately fought the corner for local deaf children, securing their inclusion in mainstream schools.
Commenting on Julia’s dedication to deaf children, Jamie McMahon, Regional Director at The National Deaf Children’s Society said:
“We’d love to thank Mrs Baynham’s family for the amazing work she did for deaf children and for the charity. She has made a huge difference to the futures of many deaf children having taught several to speak and lip read. She’s a truly remarkable woman who’ll be widely missed.”
Inspired by Helen Keller, the deaf-blind American author and political activist, Julia lived at Heighington, and later in Lincoln’s centre and taught three to seven year olds at the school between 1975 and 1995.
Ermine Infant School Deputy Head, Bette Larder, said: “Julia had so much to give, and without her, the children she taught would not have been able to achieve and go on to do what they did.”
Anne Kent, a former colleague said: “Julia had style and her inspiration made learning interesting and an adventure and, most of all, fun.”
Former pupils, friends and colleagues are invited to a Thanksgiving Service at 2.30pm on Monday 22nd February at Lincoln Cathedral. Donations will go to the National Deaf Children’s Society and to the Alzheimer’s Society.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people