For the past four years the British Deaf Association have been working to bring their extensive film and video collection back to life.
Following a successful appeal to the Heritage Lottery Fund and other generous contributions, over 600 films and videos have been preserved and are now being made fully-accessible for the first time.
As part of this project, the BDA commissioned Flashing Lights Media to create Power in Our Hands – a landmark documentary that uses this newly digitised archive footage to explore the secret history and heritage of the Deaf community in the UK.
Rather than focusing on medical definitions of hearing loss, Power in Our Hands presents Deaf people as an active and resilient community that has long campaigned for its language to be recognised.
From the social scenes of the 1930s, to the 2000 march supporting BSL recognition, this documentary gives people a glimpse into Deaf culture that is mostly hidden from the hearing world.
Dr Terry Riley OBE, Chair of the British Deaf Association said: “To see this old film footage is an emotional occasion for me. For many years, I never really knew or saw my language on screen. So to be able to sit down and see BSL on a par with any other language is a wonderful thing. This film will give the Deaf community a feeling of history and sense of pride.”
The film has had an overwhelmingly positive reaction from both audiences and cinemas, and is now programmed to play in over 30 venues across the UK.
For screening details, please visit: www.bda.org.uk/power-in-our-hands
All of the BDA’s newly digitised material is available through SHARE: The Deaf Visual Archive where users can view old photographs and footage as well as upload their own videos or images: www.sharedeafarchive.org
Jemma Buckley is the BDA’s Project Manager for the Film Heritage Project.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people