Here is a post from our supporter, Signed Culture:
During 2015, Signed Performance in Theatre (SPIT) received funding from Arts Council England to allow it to review its activities and plan for the future – thank you if you filled in our survey or attended one of our focus groups over the summer!
We found out lots of useful things about what BSL users, arts organisations and BSL interpreters and Deaf presenters need to make sure that the arts are as accessible as they can be.
As a result of our review, we are delighted to announce that, from the start of March 2016, SPIT will now be known as Signed Culture, the organisation that supports BSL access to the arts across the UK.
We decided to change our name to Signed Culture to demonstrate our wider range of activities and we commissioned a new visual identity from Samuel Dore at Burst Eardrum and have launched a new website with BSL videos created by Carolyn Nabarro and Ramon Woolf at Drip Media.
You can see what we have been up to on our new website at www.signedculture.org.uk
As Signed Culture, we will:
- Support all forms of access to arts and culture through BSL, not just interpreted theatre
- Work with all arts and cultural organisations to help them make their work more accessible, not just theatres
- Support and offer development opportunities for Deaf presenters and BSL interpreters in the cultural sector
- Become a one-stop-shop for BSL users who want to find out about accessible arts and cultural events
Signed Culture is a membership organisation with different categories of membership for BSL users, arts and cultural organisations and BSL interpreters and Deaf presenters working in the arts. BSL users can join Signed Culture for free!
As members, you will receive up-to-date information about accessible events and have the opportunity to feed into projects to improve access provisions.
To sign up, please visit our website: http://www.signedculture.org.uk/membership-for-bsl-users/
We can’t wait to get started and we will keep you posted about our work through our newsletter, news stories on our website and our Facebook and Twitter feeds (search for Signed Culture on Facebook and follow us @SignedCulture on Twitter).
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to turn on captions on your smartphone
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children