Our supporter Action Deafness, a deaf-led national charitable company, has become one of the first Deaf-specific community and support providers to have its personal care support service fully endorsed by the Care Quality Commission (CQC); the independent regulator of all health and social care services in England and Wales.
Action Deafness underwent a rigorous application of all aspects of its community and personal care support service to gain the endorsement. All met the essential national standards of quality, information, security and safety, according to the CQC.
Chief Executive Craig Crowley says:
“This accreditation is a true testament to Action Deafness large Community team led by our Manager, Mhairi Simpson and their expertise in the deaf-specific personal assistance and community support which we have built up over the last six years. We are absolutely delighted for Mhairi, this is a well-deserved recognition as Registered Manager, a rare but fundamental feat as a Deaf manager to attain this responsible role.”
Jaz Mann, Head of Services says:
“The relevance of the Care Quality Commission is recognised by many of our clients in the health and social care provision and beyond, the associated standards of quality, information, security and safety are seen as paramount to the welfare and wellbeing of our clients/service users who are Deaf and hard of hearing.”
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people