The National Deaf Children’s Society (NDCS) has launched three new sets of information resources in time for Deaf Awareness Week for teachers, children and young people focusing on deaf awareness and communication.
For the first time deaf young people will be able to use new Personal Profiles to help anyone teaching or working with them to support them in the best way.
New Look, Smile, Chat education resources have been updated for hearing young people to show the simple changes they can make to communicate well with their deaf friends; and new Mild hearing loss, major impact resources aimed at mainstream teachers are being launched to improve the classroom environment for a child with a mild hearing loss.
The profiles can be used at school, college, university, work or in other situations such as sports activities and health appointments, to help deaf young people become more independent.
Susan Daniels, Chief Executive at the National Deaf Children’s Society, said:
Good deaf awareness is needed for staff and students to ensure deaf children and young people do not miss out on important social interactions like group sessions and conversations with their peers in the classroom and the playground. We hope these resources will enable deaf children and young people to obtain better support from their peers, their teachers and others around them.
All resources can be found here:
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people