The National Deaf Children’s Society (NDCS) has launched three new sets of information resources in time for Deaf Awareness Week for teachers, children and young people focusing on deaf awareness and communication.
For the first time deaf young people will be able to use new Personal Profiles to help anyone teaching or working with them to support them in the best way.
New Look, Smile, Chat education resources have been updated for hearing young people to show the simple changes they can make to communicate well with their deaf friends; and new Mild hearing loss, major impact resources aimed at mainstream teachers are being launched to improve the classroom environment for a child with a mild hearing loss.
The profiles can be used at school, college, university, work or in other situations such as sports activities and health appointments, to help deaf young people become more independent.
Susan Daniels, Chief Executive at the National Deaf Children’s Society, said:
Good deaf awareness is needed for staff and students to ensure deaf children and young people do not miss out on important social interactions like group sessions and conversations with their peers in the classroom and the playground. We hope these resources will enable deaf children and young people to obtain better support from their peers, their teachers and others around them.
All resources can be found here:
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out 5 ways to fund live captions at your event!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people