A Deaf man who is dreaming of a career in politics saw his dreams came true in April when he was able to attend an event with President Obama with sign language interpreters.
Paul Ntulila found himself just yards away from his political hero.
Interpreters Brett Best, (who is qualified as a BSL and ASL Interpreter) and Sharan Thind (a qualified BSL interpreter) covered the event, after meeting Paul and finding out about his desire to pursue a career in Politics. Sharan explained “the Town Hall event with POTUS is unique. The impact that the event had for the [Paul] was monumental.”
“When I found out that I would have an opportunity to attend President Obama’s speech and Q&A with young leaders and ambassadors of the future, I felt very excited. Barack Obama has been a huge inspiration and a very influential role model for me. He exemplifies the breaking down of social barriers in that he is a Black man and was elected to be President of the United States. This has encouraged me to pursue my own political ambitions. Who knows, maybe one day I will become the first Deaf Black Prime Minister of England!”
The event showed a contrast between the access routinely given at US political events and the access given in the UK. This sheds further light on a question Paul wanted to ask, but didn’t get to do so: “Do you think that the U.S. could serve as a role model for facilitating employment opportunities and access to society for Deaf people?”
By Sadaqat Ali, from Lingoing, who “bring together Deaf clients, agencies, commercial organisations and freelance sign language interpreters so they can work together efficiently and ultimately make sure that every voice is heard.” www.lingoing.com
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people