Deaf Unity and Bristol North West MP Charlotte Leslie have joined forces to host a Deaf and Disability Careers Fair later this year.
The aim of this event is to build on Deaf Unity’s hugely successful Deaf Careers Fair 2014, which was nominated for the 2014 Chartered Institute for Personnel and Development People Development Award.
The Deaf and Disability Careers Fair will be held on 9th September 2016 at the Greenway Community Centre in Southmead, Bristol.
The Deaf and Disabilities Careers Fair 2016 is part of a series of specialist deaf regional careers fairs that Deaf Unity is hosting for deaf people across the UK.
By working with a range of local partners who have an interest in deaf and disability issues, Deaf Unity wishes to reach out to deaf, hard of hearing, and disabled People outside of London and beyond.
Fundamentally, it’s part of major initiatives to address the chronic unemployment and underemployment of the deaf and disabled community in the UK.
Extensive efforts have been made to develop good working relationships between employers within the Deaf and Hearing worlds.
In addition to the standard range of stalls normally present at mainstream careers fairs, the Deaf and Disabilities Careers Fair also includes a series of workshops addressing employment challenges, and provides helpful tips such as interviewing skills.
Those workshops will inform the deaf, hard of hearing and disabled communities on such issues.
Deaf Unity’s CEO Abdi Gas said:
“The rationale behind this event is one of the many reasons for having established Deaf Unity. It is a true reflection of what the united and supported deaf community is able to achieve working in partnership with the mainstream environment and an example of the vast range of the underutilised skills and talents that exists within the deaf community. Such successes can only be achieved through partnership working with the wider community.”
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people