A campaign has started aimed at saving Cornwall’s last Deaf club.
The centre features in this clip from the BSL Zone, explaining how local volunteers helped it survive.
Campaigners have launched a crowdfunding bid to save Cornwall’s last centre for the deaf from closure.Cornwall Deaf Centre in Camborne could fold unless financial support is found to help contend with the centre’s escalating costs.Centre secretary Jackie Goldie said: “It would be a hammer blow if Cornwall Deaf Centre was to shut and horrendous for all our users.”
Concerned users have been quick to back a Crowdfunding campaign to try and secure its long-term future. It has been set up by Carleen Collins, one of the sign language interpreters for Cornwall, who operates at the centre.
She said: “It is the only centre for deaf people in the county, and a place where deaf people can meet and communicate in sign language.
“The centre receives no regular funding or grants from anywhere and if the doors close, that is the end of the luncheon club, social events, bingo, Christmas parties for deaf children, and the escape from the very often isolated (hearing) world users live in.”
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people