Today, from 7-9pm, Exeter Deaf Academy is inviting Deaf people and their families to a free opening of the new Active Outdoors Community Club, at Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre, on Exeter Quay.
Thanks to funding from Awards for All England, who have awarded a lottery grant of £4,655 towards this yearlong community project, the new Deaf-inclusive club will be offering taster sessions of canoeing, kayaking, archery, sailing and caving in an accessible environment.
The ethos of Exeter’s new Active Outdoors Community Club also aims to spread accessible sport across Devon by linking with other community sports clubs where Deaf people may have experienced difficulties accessing. The club’s open evening will be followed by six further sessions, starting Wednesday 15 June, costing £1 per session with booking essential.
Exeter Deaf Academy is a charity specialising in tailored education and care for Deaf young people aged 4-24 in a bilingual English and British Sign Language (BSL) environment.
However, the Academy is not funded in the same way as state schools and relies on funding to support projects such as the new Deaf-inclusive Active Outdoors Community Club which would otherwise not happen.
Exeter Deaf Academy, Deputy Head of College, Geoff Davey, said, “We want our students to feel confident in accessing opportunities that any hearing person would. Deafness should not be seen as a barrier to what they want to achieve. Active Outdoors Community Club will make sport activities more accessible, fun and sociable for Deaf people, their families and carers.”
For more information and to book places on the sessions, email Ben Hedden at Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre on email@example.com
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people