Anglian Water, has teamed up with sign language interpreting agency, Sign Solutions (who are a supporter of this site) to improve access for their Deaf customers.
The introduction of Sign Solutions’ InterpretersLive! video relay service, now allows Deaf customers to communicate with Anglian Water billing and Operational teams using British Sign Language (BSL).
By following a link on the Anglian Water website (http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/accessibility/sign-language-interpreter.aspx) Deaf customers can connect to an online, fully qualified sign language interpreter, who relays the conversation between them and Anglian Water in real time.
Interpreters are available from Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. Outside of these times a video message call back option is available.
Sean Nicholson, CEO at Sign Solutions, said:
Helping Deaf people to lead an independent life is extremely important. Video relay has revolutionised the way in which Deaf people can contact organisations, as it now means, they are able to connect to a fully qualified sign language interpreter on demand from a laptop or mobile device.
“It’s great to see organisations such as Anglian Water recognising the need to improve their access to Deaf customers and we hope this sets an example for other organisations to follow suite.”
Graham Blackburn, Anglian Water Contact Centre Manager, said:
“We want to be able to talk to all our customers when they need assistance, so adding this service is really important to us. Now, no matter whether someone is deaf or not, they can have a conversation with one of our contact centre staff about their water, their sewerage service or their bill, and we will do all we can to help them.”
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people