Anglian Water, has teamed up with sign language interpreting agency, Sign Solutions (who are a supporter of this site) to improve access for their Deaf customers.
The introduction of Sign Solutions’ InterpretersLive! video relay service, now allows Deaf customers to communicate with Anglian Water billing and Operational teams using British Sign Language (BSL).
By following a link on the Anglian Water website (http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/accessibility/sign-language-interpreter.aspx) Deaf customers can connect to an online, fully qualified sign language interpreter, who relays the conversation between them and Anglian Water in real time.
Interpreters are available from Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. Outside of these times a video message call back option is available.
Sean Nicholson, CEO at Sign Solutions, said:
Helping Deaf people to lead an independent life is extremely important. Video relay has revolutionised the way in which Deaf people can contact organisations, as it now means, they are able to connect to a fully qualified sign language interpreter on demand from a laptop or mobile device.
“It’s great to see organisations such as Anglian Water recognising the need to improve their access to Deaf customers and we hope this sets an example for other organisations to follow suite.”
Graham Blackburn, Anglian Water Contact Centre Manager, said:
“We want to be able to talk to all our customers when they need assistance, so adding this service is really important to us. Now, no matter whether someone is deaf or not, they can have a conversation with one of our contact centre staff about their water, their sewerage service or their bill, and we will do all we can to help them.”
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Check out these captioning fails!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children