Tributes have been paid to lipspeaker Sara Scanlon, who passed away on 4th July.
Sara worked with Action on Hearing Loss, NRCPD and Signature and for many years on the committee for the Association of Lipspeakers, taking on the role of chair, information officer and membership secretary.
Action on Hearing Loss said:
Sara worked alongside Action on Hearing Loss for many years as a professional lipspeaker and was a key part of the Access to Communication in English (ACE) partnership, representing the Association of Lipspeakers (ALS) of which she was Chair and secretary.The ACE Partnership worked to improve access for people who have a hearing loss and use English to communicate. Some of Sara’s most important work included supporting both the development of the National Occupational Standards for lipspeakers and the creation of a nationally recognised course to meet those standards.This meant students could meet the necessary level to register as Communication Professionals with the National Registers of Communication Professionals working with Deaf and Deafblind People (NRCPD). Sara and her colleagues then delivered the training courses across the UK with (ALS) to ensure that potential lipspeakers could train and register.She also worked with Action on Hearing Loss in awareness raising – from articles showing people what she did as a lipspeaker, to developing a Communication Rights Guide to inform people with hearing loss what they could expect in terms of Communication Professionals and access.Sara continuously and tirelessly improved communication access for people who have a hearing loss. She embraced change and worked collaboratively to make a real difference and her work will have an impact that will last, as the people that she trained are now working as lipspeakers, supporting access every day.All of this was of course, in addition to being a very valuable Communication Professional herself, working with many of our deaf staff, service users, and deaf people nationally and around the world. Sara was awarded the Signature Communication Professional of the Year Award 2009 recognising all her hard work.On a personal note, many Action on Hearing Loss staff past and present will remember Sara for her cheerfulness, and ability to get on with everyone, as well as her determination, positivity and absolute dedication to her work.Our thoughts are with Sara’s family and friends during this time.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Check out these captioning fails!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children