It is being widely reported in the news today that two Deaf sisters convicted of sexual abuse of a boy have been spared jail sentences because of their deafness.
Extract from the Mirror:
Two evil sisters who sexually abused a boy when he was aged just six and then again when he was a teenager have been spared jail – because they are both DEAF.
Julie Fellows, 30, and her sister Jennifer, 32, targeted the youngster over a period spanning 14 years.
But a judge today went against guidelines and ruled that it wouldn’t be fair to jail the pair – who have never learnt to lip read – as they would not be able to communicate properly in prison and effectively mean they were in isolation.
He also cited the fact that sign language isn’t available in prison – and that one of the defendants was pregnant – as reasons not to jail the sick pair.
Both had previously been told to expect “very significant sentences” for their vile abuse.
Read the full story here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paedo-sisters-who-sexually-abused-8666829?ICID=FB_mirror_main
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out 5 ways to fund live captions at your event!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people