A Deaf Canadian couple are making a documentary about how Deaf people coped with a well-known explosion which shattered every window of a Deaf school back in 1917. Remarkably, everyone at the Deaf school survived.
The 1917 Halifax Explosion has been the subject of numerous movies and books.
But the disaster as experienced by the deaf community has been relatively unknown.
That’s why Linda Campbell and Jim McDermott, who are both deaf, decided to co-produce a documentary film to highlight that story.
‘Halifax Explosion: The Deaf Experience’ should be ready for viewing in time for the 100-year commemoration of the event on Dec. 6, 2017.
“Nova Scotia actually has a long history of inclusiveness when it comes to the deaf community and our allies,” explained Linda Campbell.
“Upon learning that the deaf community’s experiences during the Halifax Explosion is so poorly documented despite a wealth of books, movies and published stories about this important event, we felt it was necessary to preserve some of those stories for sharing.”
The couple are fundraising to make the film (email Deaf.Halifax.Explosion@gmail.com if you’d like to help support it).
Read more here.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to turn on captions on your smartphone
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children