The Deaf Health Charity SignHealth has appointed James Watson-O’Neill as its new chief executive.
To watch this in BSL, click play below (or go to this link):
Mr Watson-O’Neill is currently Executive Director of Services at the disability charity Scope. He has a wealth of experience in the voluntary sector with Scope, the NSPCC and SurvivorsUK and, until last year, was a trustee of deafPLUS, a charity providing advice and advocacy services to deaf people.
Richard Dunford, chair of SignHealth’s trustees, said:
“I am delighted James will be SignHealth’s new chief executive. His range of skills and experience are perfectly matched to the role. It is a demanding time with plenty of challenges and opportunities for the charity. We have excellent staff across the country and I am confident James will work well with them. This can only be a good thing for deaf people and for SignHealth’s future success.”
Commenting on his appointment, James Watson-O’Neill said:
“SignHealth does so much brilliant work and has a proud record of supporting deaf people. I want to build on this by working with the team and listening to deaf people, gaining a real understanding of needs and priorities and making sure we do all we can to improve the health and wellbeing of deaf people.”
Mr Watson-O’Neill will take up his new post on 12th October 2016.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out 5 ways to fund live captions at your event!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people