The Deaf Health Charity SignHealth has appointed James Watson-O’Neill as its new chief executive.
To watch this in BSL, click play below (or go to this link):
Mr Watson-O’Neill is currently Executive Director of Services at the disability charity Scope. He has a wealth of experience in the voluntary sector with Scope, the NSPCC and SurvivorsUK and, until last year, was a trustee of deafPLUS, a charity providing advice and advocacy services to deaf people.
Richard Dunford, chair of SignHealth’s trustees, said:
“I am delighted James will be SignHealth’s new chief executive. His range of skills and experience are perfectly matched to the role. It is a demanding time with plenty of challenges and opportunities for the charity. We have excellent staff across the country and I am confident James will work well with them. This can only be a good thing for deaf people and for SignHealth’s future success.”
Commenting on his appointment, James Watson-O’Neill said:
“SignHealth does so much brilliant work and has a proud record of supporting deaf people. I want to build on this by working with the team and listening to deaf people, gaining a real understanding of needs and priorities and making sure we do all we can to improve the health and wellbeing of deaf people.”
Mr Watson-O’Neill will take up his new post on 12th October 2016.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people