This is a sponsored post from the BFI.
There are a range of subtitled films and films with a BSL introduction (as well as subtitles) on show at this year’s BFI London Film Festival in partnership with American Express®, and tickets are on sale now!
A list of films in English language with English subtitles is below. (Please note an even larger list of films with English subtitles, including foreign language films, can be found here.)
English language films with English language subtitles
The following films have English language subtitles that include descriptions of non-dialogue audio, for customers who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Arrival Thu 13 20:45 Hackney Picturehouse
- The Birth of a Nation Thu 13 18:15 Ritzy Cinema
- Queen of Katwe Wed 12 18:15 Ritzy Cinema
- A United Kingdom Tue 11 21:00 Curzon Mayfair
BSL introduction / Q&A
Screenings where the film will have English language dialogue subtitles, and the intro/Q&A will be BSL interpreted. (All screenings are introduced. Q&A’s are included where talent availability permits).
- Aquarius Sun 16 20:15 BFI Southbank, NFT1
- Divines Thu 6 18:15 Haymarket Cinema
- Elle Sat 8 20:40 Embankment Garden Cinema
- The Giant Fri 14 13:15 BFI Southbank, NFT3
- The Graduation Mon 10 18:00 Prince Charles Cinema
- Kills on Wheels Thu 6 18:30 BFI Southbank, NFT3
- Layla M. Tue 11 18:00 Embankment Garden Cinema
- My Life as a Courgette Sat 8 18:00 Ciné Lumiere
- Neruda Sat 15 14:45 Embankment Garden Cinema
The full programme can be found at this link: https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/lff/Online/
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people