This is a sponsored post from the BFI.
There are a range of subtitled films and films with a BSL introduction (as well as subtitles) on show at this year’s BFI London Film Festival in partnership with American Express®, and tickets are on sale now!
A list of films in English language with English subtitles is below. (Please note an even larger list of films with English subtitles, including foreign language films, can be found here.)
English language films with English language subtitles
The following films have English language subtitles that include descriptions of non-dialogue audio, for customers who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Arrival Thu 13 20:45 Hackney Picturehouse
- The Birth of a Nation Thu 13 18:15 Ritzy Cinema
- Queen of Katwe Wed 12 18:15 Ritzy Cinema
- A United Kingdom Tue 11 21:00 Curzon Mayfair
BSL introduction / Q&A
Screenings where the film will have English language dialogue subtitles, and the intro/Q&A will be BSL interpreted. (All screenings are introduced. Q&A’s are included where talent availability permits).
- Aquarius Sun 16 20:15 BFI Southbank, NFT1
- Divines Thu 6 18:15 Haymarket Cinema
- Elle Sat 8 20:40 Embankment Garden Cinema
- The Giant Fri 14 13:15 BFI Southbank, NFT3
- The Graduation Mon 10 18:00 Prince Charles Cinema
- Kills on Wheels Thu 6 18:30 BFI Southbank, NFT3
- Layla M. Tue 11 18:00 Embankment Garden Cinema
- My Life as a Courgette Sat 8 18:00 Ciné Lumiere
- Neruda Sat 15 14:45 Embankment Garden Cinema
The full programme can be found at this link: https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/lff/Online/
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Check out these captioning fails!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children