The British Deaf Association launches its pioneering “Signing Families Day” today!,
The event is being promoted via a short video which can be viewed here.
The celebration this year coincides with the first anniversary of the passing of the British Sign Language (Scotland) Act 2015 by the Scottish Parliament last year.
The BDA intends this to be annual event going forward and expect it to be held on the Saturday nearest to 17th of September.
Their objective is “to spread the word on the enjoyment, enthusiasm and fulfilment that families and deaf children derive daily from coming together to learn and use Sign Language.”
The BDA is asking everyone to upload a short video in BSL to social media with the positive message that “Sign Language is Cool”, using the hashtag #SigningFamilies.
Dr Terry Riley OBE, Chair of the BDA, said:
“This Saturday we are calling on all families, children and young people to upload short videos to celebrate how the use of sign language has made a real difference to their lives!”
Sue Barry, the BDA’s Deaf Roots and Pride UK project manager said:
“In the time I have spent working with deaf children and young people over the last three years I have seen how important it is to involve whole families in communicating with their deaf children. Inclusive language learning leads to a more confident and happier child!”
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people