The British Deaf Association launches its pioneering “Signing Families Day” today!,
The event is being promoted via a short video which can be viewed here.
The celebration this year coincides with the first anniversary of the passing of the British Sign Language (Scotland) Act 2015 by the Scottish Parliament last year.
The BDA intends this to be annual event going forward and expect it to be held on the Saturday nearest to 17th of September.
Their objective is “to spread the word on the enjoyment, enthusiasm and fulfilment that families and deaf children derive daily from coming together to learn and use Sign Language.”
The BDA is asking everyone to upload a short video in BSL to social media with the positive message that “Sign Language is Cool”, using the hashtag #SigningFamilies.
Dr Terry Riley OBE, Chair of the BDA, said:
“This Saturday we are calling on all families, children and young people to upload short videos to celebrate how the use of sign language has made a real difference to their lives!”
Sue Barry, the BDA’s Deaf Roots and Pride UK project manager said:
“In the time I have spent working with deaf children and young people over the last three years I have seen how important it is to involve whole families in communicating with their deaf children. Inclusive language learning leads to a more confident and happier child!”
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people