A plaque has mysteriously appeared on a bench opposite Conwy Castle highlighting the cuts Conwy Council has made to the North Wales Deaf Association.
Last month Conwy Council withdrew £50,000 funding from NWDA which means the local deaf community can no longer have access to a dedicated member of staff to help them with phone calls, booking hospital appointments, help with form filling, or problems with a landlord or any of the many other issues where a hearing person can pick up a phone.
NWDA were informed by Conwy Council of the cuts on July 29, which came into immediate effect on August 1.
It is not known who installed the plaque that appeared yesterday and has the inscription: “This bench has been allocated to the Deaf community.
“Due to funding cuts, this is the only help they will be receiving from Conwy Council for the foreseeable future.”
The bench was placed in Conwy in memorium of John Evans some years ago. The NWDA says they have no idea who has placed the plaque. It’s appearance has caused a storm on social media, with people saying Conwy Council should immediately give back the funding to the association.
Read the full story here: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mystery-conwy-bench-plaque-criticising-11952984
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to make Live Automated Captions with Apple’s Latest 'Clips' App
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people