For one week, from Monday 31st October to Friday 4th November, at 8am each morning, BBC2’s See Hear programme is telling the stories of deaf and hard of hearing people whose stories would otherwise have been untold.
Inspired by the Dot Miles poem, See Hear: Hidden Nation “will inspire, entertain, and surprise.”
A trailer has been released on Facebook and can be seen below (or click here to see it directly):
There is also an episode of the programme on TV this week.
This Wednesday’s episode of See Hear (on BBC2 at 8am) features the BSL (Scotland) Act 2015, a deafblind runner completing his 8 year challenge, and their usual news round up.
Back in 2015, See Hear was at the Scottish Parliament to witness history in the making as an Act of Parliament was passed to promote the use of sign language across Scotland. One year on, Clive Mason returns to Holyrood and asks those involved in the act what is happening and whether progress is being made. Is there enough money to make the dream of a more inclusive Scotland a reality?
Seb Cunliffe gets his running shoes on to join deafblind athlete James Clarke as he completes his challenge of winning 100 race medals with his 100th and final run.
And there is a round-up of what has been going on in the deaf community over the last month.
The trailer is below (and can be seen directly here):
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people