For one week, from Monday 31st October to Friday 4th November, at 8am each morning, BBC2’s See Hear programme is telling the stories of deaf and hard of hearing people whose stories would otherwise have been untold.
Inspired by the Dot Miles poem, See Hear: Hidden Nation “will inspire, entertain, and surprise.”
A trailer has been released on Facebook and can be seen below (or click here to see it directly):
There is also an episode of the programme on TV this week.
This Wednesday’s episode of See Hear (on BBC2 at 8am) features the BSL (Scotland) Act 2015, a deafblind runner completing his 8 year challenge, and their usual news round up.
Back in 2015, See Hear was at the Scottish Parliament to witness history in the making as an Act of Parliament was passed to promote the use of sign language across Scotland. One year on, Clive Mason returns to Holyrood and asks those involved in the act what is happening and whether progress is being made. Is there enough money to make the dream of a more inclusive Scotland a reality?
Seb Cunliffe gets his running shoes on to join deafblind athlete James Clarke as he completes his challenge of winning 100 race medals with his 100th and final run.
And there is a round-up of what has been going on in the deaf community over the last month.
The trailer is below (and can be seen directly here):
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Check out these captioning fails!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children