We reported last week about the mystery of the plaque on a bench in a Welsh town criticising the local council for cuts to services for Deaf people.
Now, we have received an email from the group responsible, who are called The Brass Monkey Club, who have put other plaques up light heartedly “raising attention to local issues.”
The group have confirmed that they have a Deaf member “in their ranks.”
The plaque was placed by The Brass Monkey Club to bring the removal of funding for the Deaf community to a wider audience. Conwy Council have imposed these cuts on a group of people who, due to their disability, ironically, struggle to make their voices heard.
The Brass Monkeys support the Deaf Community in the fight to reinstate access to fully trained and professional sign language interpreters and call on Conwy Council to recognise that decisions which affect people’s quality of life should not be made for purely financial reasons.
We are pleased our small plaque has helped focus the spotlight on the important fight for people’s independence. As one of our other plaques says “Never underestimate the ability of misbehaviour to change the world. It’s the only thing that ever has, just ask Rosa Parks.”
For more information, take a look at: http://thebrassmonkey.club/this-bench-has-been-allocated-to-the-deaf-community-due-to-funding-cuts-this-is-the-only-help-they-will-be-receiving-from-conwy-council-for-the-foreseeable-future/
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to make Live Automated Captions with Apple’s Latest 'Clips' App
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people