A new service has been launched via SignVideo Live (who are also a supporter of this site) will allow British Sign Language (BSL) users to take full advantage of the services that Nationwide has to offer.
The free service can be accessed via a link on Nationwide’s website which will enable customers who are deaf and hard of hearing to access a BSL interpreter through video. From here, the interpreter will connect the customer to the customer services helpline, relaying the call live like any regular call.
Currently there are 11 million people confronting deafness and hearing loss in the UK, with approximately 150,000 BSL users. This emphasises the need for a customer experience where those who use BSL can confidently and independently manage their finances.
Video relay service is becoming increasingly popular in the customer services industry and complements Nationwide’s goal to provide an all-inclusive service for its customers. Available on computers, laptops, tablets and smartphones, the service is easily accessible in whichever way the customer chooses to use it.
Mandy Griffin, Nationwide’s Head of Customer Experience, said:
“We are very proud to be partnering with SignVideo to provide our deaf and hard of hearing customers with the services they need to help them manage their finances. The service is another great asset, alongside our wider Specialist Support Programme1, which enables our members to receive extra support when it matters most.”
Jeff McWhinney, Chairman and Founder of SignVideo, said:
“We are encouraged to see more financial institutions like Nationwide considering how they can serve their deaf BSL customers. SignVideo are thrilled to launch this service with Nationwide, which allows equal and immediate access to their helplines for the BSL community. We are proud of Nationwide for being one of the UK’s leading building societies in setting the benchmark for accessible customer services in the finance industry. The UK BSL community will be delighted that this service is now available.”.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people