A specialist service for deaf children and young people has been given the highest possible rating of outstanding by the Care Quality Commission following an inspection in July 2016.
The Deaf Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) for the north of England is based in York, with other bases in Manchester and Newcastle. It’s one of four centres across England offering a highly specialised mental health service for deaf children and young people.
The team is made up of deaf and hearing staff, reflecting the bi-lingual and bi-cultural nature of the service, enabling it to meet the complex mental health needs of deaf children, young people and families regardless of their language and communication needs and preferences.
Inspectors were impressed by the range of therapies and treatments delivered by the service and praised team members for tailoring their work to meet the specific communication needs of families. They described staff as “passionate and enthusiastic” and noted that the feedback from young people and carers who used the service, and from partners who work with the team, was “universally positive”.
Young people told inspectors that the team understood them and helped them to make sense of their feelings and communicate them to others. They described the staff as “caring and fun” and said they were pleased to have workers from the specialist team.
Parents and carers spoke of staff as being calm at difficult times and commented on the team understanding the whole picture, by meeting them and their child, and by going into schools. They were also confident that they knew what would happen throughout the team’s involvement, and credited them with opening up networks to help families connect to the deaf community in their local area.
Tim Richardson, Service Manager for Deaf CAMHS at Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, said:
Read more here: http://www.leedsandyorkpft.nhs.uk/news/latest_news/1/924
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to make Live Automated Captions with Apple’s Latest 'Clips' App
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people