SignLive, an Edinburgh-based British Sign Language Online Interpreting Service (who also support this site) has recently launched its first-class service, Video Remote Interpreting, to provide British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters on demand at Edinburgh Airport.
Edinburgh Airport is the first UK airport to introduce this service, which provides an instant way to communicate with Deaf customers by connecting with an online BSL interpreter via smart handheld devices.
The service can be used throughout the terminal buildings, allowing airport agents to communicate with British Deaf people immediately and effectively.
In the UK, British Sign Language is the first and preferred language of many deaf people. It is thought that there are around 150,000 BSL users in the UK. Edinburgh Airport is Scotland’s busiest airport with over 11m passengers a year.
Joel Kellhofer, Managing Director and Owner of SignLive, said “We are delighted to be supporting Edinburgh Airport in its drive to provide a first-class service to its disabled passengers. Our service allows airport staff to communicate with their Deaf customers in their language of choice at any time, without the need for pre-booked interpreters.”
Gordon Dewar, Eidnburgh Airport’s Chief Executive said “The introduction of SignLive Online Interpreting Service here at Edinburgh Airport is a really positive development as we grow and strive to make the airport as accessible and friendly for everyone.”
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people