My name is Paul Southall and I live in Cheshire. I am deaf and use speech and BSL. My wife of ten years is also deaf and use BSL. I have four beautiful children, one of them is deaf and another has epilepsy related learning difficulties. My eldest Joshua is a young carer with many responsibilities in helping within the family mainly with communications.
As well as my Deafness, I have another disability with my legs. It started with a knee injury which I had an operation that went wrong. The surgeon killed my femoral nerve and my right leg now has limited movement putting more pressure on my left leg.
Recently, I have torn my ACL on left knee and the doctors are currently testing my femoral nerve on my left side before deciding to operate. So I’m currently getting out and about in a wheelchair.
We used to live in East London and recently moved to Cheshire for a better way of life for us. Since we have moved, I have joined a wheelchair basketball team called the Cheshire Phoenix wheelchair basketball club. I have become a really good player as I am coached by Anna Jackson who is a successful former Paralympic basketball player for team GB.
I’m currently using the club’s bball chair but that has limited me in my sport so I’m looking for a sponsor/donation towards my new bespoke wheelchair made by the best wheelchair manufacturer in the world, RGK. Cheshire Phoenixs have a good deaf awareness system which has really helped me settled into the team.
My future? Well I want to get a couple of seasons under my belt and next year, I am going to start my coaching badges for basketball and wheelchair basketball so I can pass on my experience and teach future deaf children basketball and wheelchair basketball. But I need the public’s help! I am not working as I am a carer for my son and basketball is my escape for the stresses at home.
Help fund Paul’s wheelchair via Go Fund Me by clicking here.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people