A petition has been set up to campaign against the deportation of a Deaf boy from Iraq who has made remarkable progress since he started studying at Derby Deaf School. Lawand Hamadmin is 6 years old.
You can see and sign the petition by clicking here.
A mum whose daughter is in the same class as a deaf refugee boy from Iraq has started a campaign to fight Government plans to deport him.
More than 600 people have signed Esther Freeman’s petition to keep six-year-old Lawand Hamadamin in Derby so he can continue to study at the Royal School for the Deaf.
The profoundly deaf boy and his family were encouraged to come to the city by charity DeafKidz from a Dunkirk “jungle” camp after they escaped ISIS threats to kill disabled children – and now teachers say Lawand has made “extraordinary progress” learning British Sign Language.
The family are hoping to appeal at the High Court after a final decision was made two weeks ago to deport them to Germany, which they passed through on their way to the UK.
Part-time Royal Derby Hospital nurse Esther Freeman said the rise of negative attitudes towards foreigners in the last year inspired her to push back and do something positive.
Read the full story at: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/deaf-iraq-refugee-lawand-facing-deporatation-gets-support-from-petition-set-up-by-royal-derby-nurse/story-30021996-detail/story.html#XZfsCs2FmEVMZfUX.99
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people