This article is a sponsored post from Signed Culture.
Are you Deaf? Do you use BSL? Do you like going to interpreted theatre, museum tours or art gallery events that have been made accessible?
To watch this post in BSL, click play below!
That’s why Signed Culture is here – to help!
Signed Culture, which used to be known as Signed Performance in Theatre, or SPIT, has been supporting and promoting BSL access to the arts for over 20 years, helping Deaf people to enjoy amazing theatre performances.
But now, SPIT has become Signed Culture, we not only promote accessible theatre, but access to museums, art galleries, and any other arts event.
Last year we did some research with some Deaf people and they said they wanted one website with all the information about accessible arts events in one place – and this is what we’re developing.
So, we need you to become members! It’s free – we just need your name, email address and region you live in (click here to sign up!) and then we will send you regular e-newsletters with what’s happening in your region.
Please also tell your friends, family, colleagues to become members too – we need to prove to the world there are lots of Deaf people who want to go to accessible arts events, and then hopefully more venues will provide some access.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people