On Sunday 26th March 2017 I will be taking part in Run Garioch and attempting my first 10k.
I’m doing this to raise money for Marie Curie, a charity which provides hands on care and nursing support through all terminal illnesses.
My wonderful mum recently passed away after bravely fighting cancer. She received excellent care at home from Marie Curie staff who were a great support to us as a family at such a difficult time.
As my mum was Deafblind, the nurses relied on us to communicate fully with her. They also made a great effort to communicate with my dad, who is Deaf.
The team expressed a keen interest in learning British Sign Language (BSL) but there are currently no courses available to meet their requirements.
Deaf Action are a charity providing services to support deaf people in Scotland and are experienced in delivering a range of training courses. They have agreed to provide this bespoke BSL and Deaf Awareness course.
The money I raise will give the Marie Curie Moray team the opportunity to attend this training and feel more confident supporting deaf people. I would hope that the course is then extended to all Marie Curie staff.
I have met with Alex Salmond MP and Gillian Martin MSP to discuss issues surrounding end of life care for Deaf people. Both have been extremely supportive.
Alex Salmond has tabled questions for the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Community Health and Care, David Mowat MP.
Gillian Martin has asked the Scottish Parliament what BSL training is currently in place for NHS staff and how they support BSL users in accessing healthcare services.
I am in the process of arranging meetings with Angus Robertson MP and Richard Lochhead MSP to gain further support of my campaign. I hope to raise awareness of the need for bespoke BSL and Deaf Awareness training for staff working in palliative care.
If you would like to donate to this worthwhile cause, please see www.justgiving.com/MarieCurieMoray.
For more regular updates on my campaign please see http://fb.me/BSLforMarieCurie.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people