British Gas, the country’s largest energy supplier, is now offering live, online British Sign Language (BSL) interpretation to its customers.
Teaming up with SignVideo (who are a supporter of this site), British Gas launched the free service this month which will allow sign language users to access the company’s full range of customer services.
The service is accessed via a video web link that connects to a BSL interpreter who connects the call to a British Gas agent, and interprets for the customer throughout the call. The service is accessible on PCs, laptops, tablets and smartphones.
Steve Crabb, Director of Consumer Vulnerability at British Gas, said: “This service will make a real difference to our deaf and hearing impaired customers who use sign language. We want our full range of customer services to be as accessible as possible for everyone, and this new service really helps us to achieve this.”
There are currently 150,000 BSL users in the UK, and around 11 million people living with deafness and hearing loss.
Jeff McWhinney, Founder and Chairman at SignVideo says “It’s fantastic to see a leading utility company like British Gas striving to provide equal access to their customer services for deaf BSL users. As a deaf BSL user myself, I know that the BSL community will be thrilled that they can now talk to British Gas in our own language, BSL, and I truly hope other energy providers will follow their great example and open up their services to their deaf BSL customers.”
Customers can access the service at https://www.britishgas.co.uk/accessibility.html
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to turn on captions on your smartphone
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children