This year, DEX (Deaf Ex-Mainstreamers Group) is holding a Deaf Awareness Day day at Hepworth Gallery in Wakefield on 13th May 2017.
This is timed to happen just before Deaf Awareness Week (15th to 21st May 2017).
The DEX Deaf Awareness Day is from 11am till 4pm.
The address is: Hepworth Wakefield, Gallery Walk, Wakefield, WF1 5AW. British Sign Language interpreters will be on hand throughout the day.
DEX charity was set up almost 25 years ago. DEX is for deaf people who have attended mainstream education who may be living in limbo between the hearing and deaf worlds.
There will be many other deaf exhibitors with information about deaf issues, deaf awareness, deaf culture, British Sign Language, story CDs in sign language, crafts and cards. There will also be children’s face painting, tombola and raffle.
Hepworth Wakefield is one of the finest contemporary art museums in Europe.
We invite you to come along for a fun and interesting day – a chance to look at Hepworth’s beautiful settings, sculptures and paintings and to learn more about Deaf Awareness and DEX.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to make Live Automated Captions with Apple’s Latest 'Clips' App
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people