It was 1995; I’d just left drama school – full of youth and hope and plans of treading the boards. I went to see a play at Battersea Arts Centre and everything changed: the actors were deaf and hearing and they were signing and speaking. I’d never seen anything like it, I’d never even seen sign language before. This elegant visual language intrigued me so the very next day I joined a Level 1 course in BSL. And so my journey began…
Through the years that followed my appreciation for BSL and deaf culture grew. I was lucky that I met so many deaf people who believed in me and encouraged me: from that fateful day of meeting Rebecca Mansell in an audition room (with my basic Level II) and leaving the day with her having persuaded me to be her CSW at the RNID!
Having both acting and sign language skills has presented fantastic opportunities: working with Graeae Theatre Company (Mother Courage), developing scripts with Deafinitely Theatre (Playing God, Ladies Night) and Switch (BBC).
I work now in Sussex & London as an actress and a British Sign Language Interpreter – not always at the same time! I love the journey that sign language has taken me on, the people I have met, and the friends I have made. Being an interpreter has its challenges, but mostly they are good challenges and ultimately it is the people, the culture and that beautiful language that fulfils me.
Now for the very first time I am co-producing a show with my friend, the writer/director Faye Hughes and Brighton based company, Actors of Dionysus, with whom I toured as Lysistrata, last year. It’s hard work but really very exciting. Our show SHE DENIED NOTHING will be playing as part of the Brighton Fringe Festival at Exeter Street Hall on 3rd & 4th June.
And as part of my commitment to and belief in access, every show will have a BSL interpreter.
Find out more here: https://www.brightonfringe.org/box-office/shows/view/she-denied-nothing
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people