The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has teamed up with Sign Solutions (a supporter of this site) to further improve access for their Deaf patients.
Signs Solutions’ online instant video interpreting system, InterpretersLive! is now available to Newcastle Hospitals’ patients.
For the NHS, the video interpreting system enables profoundly Deaf patients to have access to a clinician in person at the Trust or over the phone through a registered and qualified British Sign Language interpreter. This allows vital information to be communicated simply, easily and on demand 24/7. The system essentially removes the communication barriers for deaf people, by giving them the freedom and independence to communicate with and access services provided by their local NHS trust.
Deaf patients can also use the service to contact the hospitals and other services provided by the Newcastle Hospitals, for example to make or change appointments, by following the link on the Newcastle Hospitals website. Patients will be connected to an online, fully qualified sign language interpreter, who replays the conversation between them and the Newcastle Hospitals staff in real time.
Interpreters are available from 8am – midnight, seven days a week.
Sean Nicholson, CEO of Sign Solutions, said, “I am delighted that Newcastle upon Tyne NHS Foundation Trust has taken these steps to make themselves accessible to the Deaf community.
“It is the case that most NHS trusts do provide interpreters for scheduled appointments but Newcastle has taken the accessibility standard one stage further by allowing deaf people to actually call them in their first language, maybe just to change or cancel an appointment. This small move itself may save a great deal of money in terms of missed appointments and wasted interpreter costs. It also makes the lives of deaf people easier and gives them equality of access to the NHS.”
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people