We reported last week that after initially saying they would not produce a BSL manifesto due to “time constraints,” the Conservative Party (who were the only party who knew when this election would take place, let’s not forget) had finally said they would produce a manifesto accessible to BSL users.
The BSL manifesto follows a campaign by Deaf activists, many of whom sent the party their own BSL videos with the hashtag #MyBSLQuestion.
This leaves UKIP as the only main party without a BSL translation of their manifesto.
Below you can find the other parties BSL manifestos:
- Green Party (scroll down the page where there’s the option to see BSL translation videos of various policy areas): https://www.greenparty.org.uk/green-guarantee/all-manifestos-alternative-formats.html
- Liberal Democrats: http://www.libdems.org.uk/manifesto-british-sign-language
- Labour: Manifesto (summary videos): http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/manifesto2017/accessible-manifesto
- Plaid Cymru: http://www2.partyof.wales/bsl2017
- Scottish National Party: https://www.snp.org/manifesto
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people