The Royal Association for Deaf people (RAD) has been nominated for Sainsbury’s Local Charity of the Year.
RAD provides a wide variety of services for Deaf people in their first or preferred language which is usually British Sign Language (BSL).
Staff at the Sainsbury’s Stanway, Colchester store nominated three local charities including RAD.
Customers will now have the chance to choose which charity the store should support by voting either in-store or online.
The Sainsbury’s Local Charity of the Year scheme has raised more than £11 million since it began in 2009. You can find out more information on the scheme at https://about.sainsburys.co.uk/discover-more/our-stories/2017/hand-in-hand-with-local-charities.
CEO, Dr. Jan Sheldon said:
‘RAD has a long history in Colchester and we are proud that Sainsbury’s staff have recognised our work with the Deaf community.’
‘Sainsbury’s support would allow us to continue to engage with the general public to raise Deaf awareness and provide services to Deaf people in their preferred language.’
‘I’d like to personally encourage as many of you as possible to vote for us.’
You can cast your vote to support RAD either in-store or online.
To vote in-store, please visit the Stanway, Colchester store.
To vote online, please visit https://www.sainsburyslocalcharity.co.uk/, type Colchester into the Search Stores box, Select Stanway and Vote for Royal Association for Deaf people.
You have until 25th June 2017 to cast your vote.
The Sainsbury’s Local Charity of the Year will be announced in July.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people