The Royal Association for Deaf people (RAD) has been nominated for Sainsbury’s Local Charity of the Year.
RAD provides a wide variety of services for Deaf people in their first or preferred language which is usually British Sign Language (BSL).
Staff at the Sainsbury’s Stanway, Colchester store nominated three local charities including RAD.
Customers will now have the chance to choose which charity the store should support by voting either in-store or online.
The Sainsbury’s Local Charity of the Year scheme has raised more than £11 million since it began in 2009. You can find out more information on the scheme at https://about.sainsburys.co.uk/discover-more/our-stories/2017/hand-in-hand-with-local-charities.
CEO, Dr. Jan Sheldon said:
‘RAD has a long history in Colchester and we are proud that Sainsbury’s staff have recognised our work with the Deaf community.’
‘Sainsbury’s support would allow us to continue to engage with the general public to raise Deaf awareness and provide services to Deaf people in their preferred language.’
‘I’d like to personally encourage as many of you as possible to vote for us.’
You can cast your vote to support RAD either in-store or online.
To vote in-store, please visit the Stanway, Colchester store.
To vote online, please visit https://www.sainsburyslocalcharity.co.uk/, type Colchester into the Search Stores box, Select Stanway and Vote for Royal Association for Deaf people.
You have until 25th June 2017 to cast your vote.
The Sainsbury’s Local Charity of the Year will be announced in July.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people