The Clin d’Oeil Festival 2017 took place from 6-9 July in Reims, France. It was the 8th edition of the festival, which focuses on Deaf visual arts with an international outlook.
Around 13,700 people attended the Festival over 4 days, including:
• 583 members of Festival “staff” (including artists, volunteers, the CinéSourds organising team, interpreters, sponsors, VIP guests, catering staff, drivers, security guards),
• 234 people who had a stand at the exhibition,
• 179 children (who had their own “Mini Clin d’Oeil” programme), and
• 72 members of the media.
Star performers included: John Maucere (SuperDeafy), Deafies in Drag, Signmark, Nico Di Marco (DJ/VJ and twin brother of Nyle Di Marco), Sean Forbes, Beethoven’s Nightmare, and Miss Deaf International 2016 Iwona Cichosz.
Winners of the Clin d’Oeil Film Awards 2017 included two Brits! They were:
• Best Director: Elsa G. Björnsdóttir (Iceland)
• Best Film: ‘Kari’ by Elsa G. Björnsdóttir (Iceland)
• Best Youth Film: ‘SSL’ by Heathlands School (UK)
• Best Actress: Jean Saint Clair for ‘Signs of an Affair’ (UK)
• Best Actor: Remus Illisie for ‘The Moving Light’ (Romania)
• Best Animation: ‘The 7th Refugee’ by Christopher Buhr (Germany)
On the jury for the Film Awards this year:
• Nikki Stratton (UK), Co-Founder of Zebra Uno and Deaffest
• Véronique Berthonneau (France), journalist, author and documentary film-maker
• Louis Neethling (UK), film and series director, founder of Mutt & Jeff Pictures
• Pierre-Louis Levacher (France), LSF interpreter, film and documentary director
Congratulations to everyone involved!
With thanks to Lauren Harris.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people